Whenever you plug in my flash drive to some other computer, it (other PC) usually push several viruses and malware (if PC is infected) and if that infected flash drive is connected to PC, it will also infect the PC. If this happens to you too, then you can use any of the methods from below to keep you PC safe from the infected flash drive.
Method 1: Disable autorun feature on Windows
In Microsoft Windows, autorun feature is very harmful because some viruses automatically get active from that autorun feature and infect your PC. You need to disable this feature from the Group Policy Editor.
Steps to disable the autorun feature in Windows:
- Press WIN + R to open run window.
- Type gpedit.msc and press enter.
- Using the left pane navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Autoplay Policies.
- Enable the turn-off autoplay setting from the right pane.
Now your PC will not autoplay any flash drive even it was infected with viruses and your will not be infected with any viruses.
Method 2: Anti-virus programs:
If you connect any virus infected USB flash drive to your PC, Windows defender will notify you about threats from the flash drive and quarantined them until you remove them using the Windows defender.
Windows defender should be turned on and updated every time so your PC will be protected from viruses.
- Hit Windows key and type “Windows Defender”.
- Launch it and turn it on from there.
- Switch to “Update” tab and click on “Update Definitions”.
- It will automatically search and install the update.
Install any antivirus program on your PC and whenever you connect your flash drive to the PC, first scan it with the antivirus program then move the files from the flash drive to the PC.
Tip: Keep your antivirus up to date so it should detect the new viruses.
Usually, I don’t recommend you to install any full-featured anti-virus program because it may slow down your PC and works same as some basic antivirus program. In Windows 8 and later, Windows defender works best and there is no need of any antivirus program to install.